Monday, July 25, 2011

What These Numbers Tell You About Me


There’s a spot in iTunes that you can click that sorts your songs based on how many times you’ve listened to them. From time to time, I like to organize my music like this to see what my favorite songs are and which ones are creeping up the list. Today a friend of mine asked which is more important to music, the instruments or the lyrics. So I decided to look at my ten most played songs and see what they’re about.

I found that seven of them are about hope, love and redemption. Three are about doubt, loss or pain.

Over time, I’ve learned that we tend to listen to depressing music when we’re depressed because it fits our mood better. Is the opposite also true? Does this mean that 70% of the time I choose music, I’m feeling hope, love or redemption? I don’t know if I think that’s true but it certainly makes me wonder if the world is brighter than I usually give it credit.

I don’t tend to think of myself as particularly hopeful (I’ve written on this before) so this trend caught me off guard. So I think I’m going to start paying more attention to how my mood is connected to what I put in my ears. I might just learn something new about myself.

What does your top ten say about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment