Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Worthy of Delight


Last week, I started training for a half marathon. I found running partners, created a workout schedule, I even created an account on mapmyrun.com.

I hate running. Of all forms of physical exercise, it’s probably the one I hate the most. I would even say I loathe it. I have to get up earlier to run, drink more water (and therefore less coffee), and plan parts of my life around making sure I have hours each week to devote to running. This is stupid.

So why am I running?

Three weeks ago I was sitting in a local park and a boy about five years old ran past me. He was going top speed, arms and legs pumping in that cute uncontrollable manner of a child putting his all into what he was doing. Of course, he wasn’t going very fast (he’s barely over three feet tall) but he poured his whole heart into sprinting past me. And you know what? He had a smile that covered his entire face. I watched him, and he wasn’t racing towards anything in particular. He was just overcome with joy at the running, with passion for testing the limits of his five-year-old body. He was happy because he was discovering what he is capable of, and that was worthy of delight.

I’m running because I want to capture the feeling I saw in that boy. I want to learn how to rejoice in having ability; I want to test my boundaries and find that worthy of delight.

3 comments:

  1. couldn't you have chosen something easier with which to find this delight you seek?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan - That's great. We'll do what we can to keep you motivated. Thanks for using the tool. Let us know if you need anything.

    Cheers,

    Carter @mapmyrun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying your posts. Particularly like this one, ran my first marathon this past October and know exactly what you're talking about with the little boy. Lots of days in traning are really challenging to the self but worth every second! Congrats on making the commitment. And bravo for choosing to be challenged!

    -Chenille

    ReplyDelete